£29.99 | $36.95
24 January 2009
234mm x 156mm
Ageing and Development
Rob Vos, Jose Antonio Ocampo & Ana Luiza Cortez et al
That we all live longer is perhaps one of the greatest achievements of human progress. Yet increased life expectancy and lower fertility rates across the globe are having a huge impact on the structure of populations, offering both challenges and opportunities for the future.
Ageing and Development is an authoritative analysis of the social and economic implications of this trend. Can we provide enough pensions for old people to live comfortably? How can old people be empowered to play a more positive role in society? What will the role of grandparents be in the emerging new social structures? What are the implications for health services? How can the very old be cared for? Providing a wealth of statistical and quantitative evidence and compiled by leading economists working at the forefront of this area, the authors argue that these challenges are not insurmountable, but societies everywhere need to put in place the required policies to confront these challenges effectively, providing a timely and definitive guide to the impact of ageing populations.
Table of Contents
2. An Ageing World Population
3. Older Persons in a Changing Society
4. Economic Consequences of Population Ageing
5. Old-Age Income Security
6. Health and Long-Term Care Systems for Ageing Societies
About the Authors:
José Antonio Ocampo is Professor in the Professional Practice of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University, New York. At the time of writing, he was Under-Secretary General for Economic and Social Affairs at the United Nations.
Rob Vos is Director of the Development Policy and Analysis Division in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations, New York, and Affiliated Professor of Finance and Development at the Institute of Social Studies, The Hague.
Ana Luiza Cortez is Chief of the Secretariat of the Committee for Development Policy in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations, New York.
- Michael Brown and Eric Garner: Peace and Violence in “American Democracy” | Arnold August
- 2014: Zed Books Christmas Gift Guide
- Assata: An Autobiography and the Ferguson Verdict
- Zed Book Banned in Thailand as a threat to "stability, order and good morality"
- BOOK LAUNCH 28/10/14: Bread, Freedom and Social Justice | Khalili Lecture Theatre, SOAS, London